Monday, January 28, 2013

Finding my art again


I've been feeling a lot of 'meh' lately. As a certified adult, I have found it harder and harder to find the inspiration and motivation to continue to create art. This is very hard for me, because to create art is akin to breathing. Which would explain the suffocating feeling I get from time to time. Not to mention, the area I live in does not necessarily foster the creative community. It's my own fault. I can't blame the state I live in or anything else. The truth is, I've let life turn on the cruise control and I'm just riding along. I need to wrestle it back. Ninja style - because everything in life is more fun ninja style.

I'm fortunate to have a handful of genuinely creative people in my life. In recent conversations with them, I have learned that they have similar feelings about our community and about their own struggles to keep inspiration alive. While I firmly believe that it one's own individual responsibility to seek out inspiration and motivation, a group or community of like minded artists help "feed the brain" and in turn nurtures creativity.  That's why I am so excited that a small group of us are getting together on a regular basis for informal meet ups. Conversations, sharing of artwork or art we have found that inspire us - in hopes that it leads to more and more inspiration and keeps the momentum going.

I feel for my poor husband. As the years we are together start to add up, I think so do the pieces of the puzzle that is me. He never knows which direction I will be running in. Sometimes it's USSR era gas masks. Sometimes it's repainting furniture or sewing or photography or mixed media... or me inviting a gaggle of artists over on a Saturday night. He goes with it. I'm pretty sure he actually enjoys it.  I'm also sure he's expecting to come home one day to me building a circus tent in our living room with dogs, monkeys and retired astronauts. He probably wouldn't blink at this point. Every time I tell him that I NEED to do this - he's right on board. I love that (among a million other things) about him.

Fortunately for him, I'm currently working on a large piece that was inspired in part by a project I did back in college and not a circus... yet. I'm exploring mediums I have never used and using mediums I am happily familiar with. Canvas. Mod Podge. Acrylic Paint. Charcoal. Soft Pastels. A map. (I am almost as obsessed with maps as I am with masks) Elmer's glue. Books.

When I was choosing a canvas size, I had the large one picked out. But I got scared and I picked up a 9"x12".

Christina was with me.  I asked her, "Do I start small or is this a go-big-or-go-home kinda moment?"

"Sister, go big or go home."

20" x 30" Almost square... but not. Almost standard... but not.

I have no idea how it will turn out - hopefully well enough for me to share, but one thing is for certain. It is going to be fun. And probably messy. So, I suppose that is two things for certain.


1 comment: